Friday, December 06, 2013

Happy Birthday, Emily!

Today is Emily's first birthday. It has been a joy to watch her grown from an infant to a toddler. To grow from a peanut to someone who can express strong opinions and stand up straight at the same time. Of course, she's not speaking words yet, but she does have plenty to say and will wave her hands with authority while she is speaking.

We've come a long way, haven't we, Emily? I can remember the day after I learned that my wife Alice was pregnant. As I prepared to leave for work that day, I remember thinking that Emily has no one to talk to. So why not give her a little company on the way? Before I left home for work, I got on my knees and talked to Emily every day before she was born. I wanted to let her know that I loved her and that I was only going to be away for about 8 hours. It was such a little thing, but it made sense to me, even when she was about the size of a grain of rice.

After awhile, Alice could feel Emily moving when I talked to her. I sang, talked, and just generally carried on with Emily before she was born. Right after she was born, I was there, offering my finger for her to hold for support while the nurses attended to her. I talked with Emily while she was getting shots, drops in her eyes and weighed. Then they brought her back to Mom and let her rest on Mom's warm skin. I just loved that.

She spent a lot of time sleeping, growing, breathing. I sang songs to her to help her sleep. I talked with her while she was in the bassinet. I sat for many hours talking with her, watching her struggle to stay awake, only to be overcome by sleep.

I watched her learn to roll herself over, then inch her way forward on the bed, then crawl and a few days ago, she walked. Now she walks whenever she has the opportunity, if she's not in a hurry. She's still faster crawling, but that won't last long. Walking will soon be preferred over crawling. It's only a matter of time before she starts speaking, but her lips and tongue are still in training.

Happy Birthday, Emily!

No comments: