Thursday, February 26, 2015

Well, we thought emulsifiers were safe, now we're not so sure

Reuters, among many outlets carried the story about emulsifiers:
"(Reuters) - Common additives in ice cream, margarine, packaged bread and many processed foods may promote the inflammatory bowel diseases ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease as well as a group of obesity-related conditions, scientists said on Wednesday."
Sciencedaily.com has more scientific detail based on an article releasesd in the journal, Nature:
"Emulsifiers, which are added to most processed foods to aid texture and extend shelf life, can alter the gut microbiota composition and localization to induce intestinal inflammation that promotes the development of inflammatory bowel disease and metabolic syndrome, new research shows."
Hey, the gut bacteria again? Like the artificial sweeteners story? This is just one more warning shot across the bow of the standard American diet. Eat processed foods? Prepare for a life of greater discomfort. Ignore the warning? Prepare for a life in bed or no life at all.

The human body is just not built for all the chemicals we put in our food. But there is a way to avoid them, even if you are tempted to buy them. Here's what I do:

When I eat something, I notice how I feel after I eat it. If I don't like the way that I feel after I eat something, even if I enjoy the flavor, texture or whatever about that food, I avoid eating it or limit consumption of that food to the point where the discomfort goes away. The body is a natural barometer of our environment. If you abuse it, you will feel it, just like if you treat it right, you will feel it, too.

For example, I've tried many different things for breakfast. From cereal with milk, to oatmeal, to burritos to finally, apples. Organic apples. I feel best when eating apples for breakfast. They're cheap compared to McD's and the health care bill that comes with that. I say McD's because on the way to work, while I'm eating apples, I see people lined up in their cars, motors idling, waiting for their Egg McMuffin, hash browns and coffee. I honestly don't know how they live on that. So I'll take my apples, thank you.

I've developed this sensitivity and awareness of food with years of paying attention and experimentation. Anyone can do this. All it takes is a little time and patience.

I guess the follow up question is this: how can the food corporation executives who approve this stuff sleep at night? How can they look themselves in the mirror in the morning and go to work, thinking that this sort of story will just fade away? Do they find themselves amused that they put one over on the FDA before stories like this come out?

No comments: